2021 Free Tax Preparation
UPDATE, 4/21/21: Just-A-Start’s Tax Site is fully booked and is no longer accepting clients.
For other free, VITA-certified tax help resources, please visit Get Your Refund.
Just-A-Start’s Tax Help Clinic is a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site, run in partnership with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Boston Tax Help Coalition.
We prepare tax returns completely free of charge for qualifying taxpayers. The goal of the tax site is to provide free, trustworthy tax preparation services to help you securely file your taxes and ensure that you receive any refunds you are eligible for.
This page contains information about:
- how to know if you qualify for the tax site
- how to access tax services
- how to begin the tax preparation process
After reading the information, if you still have questions, please contact Ian Davis at email@example.com or call 617-918-7525.
About the VITA Program
For over 50 years, the IRS’s VITA program has offered free, certified tax preparation to qualified community members. Learn more about the VITA Program.
Qualifying taxpayers generally make less than $56,000 and live in the Greater Boston Area.
Certain tax situations may be “out of scope” for a VITA site, meaning we cannot do the return. If that is the case for you, we can help refer you to other services.
If you are unsure whether you qualify, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-918-7525.
Some of our volunteers speak Spanish and we have over-the-phone interpreting service for Language Access.
How does the tax preparation process work?
We are now offering tax preparation services at 402 Rindge Avenue using a drop off and pick up process. Appointments are available on Tuesdays at 6:00pm and 7:00pm and on Saturdays at 3:00pm and 4:00pm until May 8th, 2021.
- You begin the process by reviewing some online information about the VITA program, and then completing a brief online form. On that form, you share your contact information as well as your preference for your appointment time.
- A tax site representative will call you to schedule the particular day and time for your appointment at 402 Rindge Avenue.
- At your appointment, you’ll complete an intake form and staff will securely scan your personal documents (financial paperwork, health insurance form (1095-A, 1099-HC), Social Security card, and photo ID).
- After your appointment, staff will complete your tax return within two weeks. You will have the option to close-out the tax process by email or to come back in person.
How do I start the process?
To begin, please click the button below. You will be directed to a webpage where you can review some information about the VITA program, and then you will complete a brief online form.