2021 Free Tax Preparation
Just-A-Start’s Tax Help Clinic is a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site, run in partnership with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Boston Tax Help Coalition.
We prepare tax returns completely free of charge for qualifying taxpayers. The goal of the tax site is to provide free, trustworthy tax preparation services to help you securely file your taxes and ensure that you receive any refunds you are eligible for.
This page contains information about:
- how to know if you qualify for the tax site
- how to access tax services remotely or in-person
- how to begin the tax preparation process
After reading the information, if you still have questions, please contact Ian Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-918-7525.
About the VITA Program
For over 50 years, the IRS’s VITA program has offered free, certified tax preparation to qualified community members. Learn more about the VITA Program.
Qualifying taxpayers generally make less than $56,000 and live in the Greater Boston Area.
Certain tax situations may be “out of scope” for a VITA site, meaning we cannot do the return. If that is the case for you, we can help refer you to other services.
If you are unsure whether you qualify, please email email@example.com or call 617-918-7525.
Tax Preparation Services: Remote or In-Person
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will assist most participants virtually and complete your tax returns online. We use a secure file sharing system and a secure video chat service to keep you and your personal information safe.
For participants who need extra assistance due to technology needs or a complex tax situation, we plan to offer limited in-person service by appointment only. However, in-person appointments will be available only when COVID numbers are low enough to be safe for our staff, volunteers, and participants.
After you share more information about your needs with us on the intake form, we will reach out and help you schedule the type of appointment that will best fit your needs and keep everyone safe.
Some of our volunteers speak Spanish and we have over-the-phone interpreting service for Language Access.
How does the tax preparation process work?
- Everyone begins the process by reviewing some information about the VITA program and your rights online, and then completing a brief online form.
- Tax site representatives will contact you by email to help you begin the process of completing paperwork and sharing your tax information using a secure file sharing service.
- You will meet online with a tax site representative using a secure video chat service to review your information and clarify any questions. (If it is necessary to meet in-person, a representative will help you schedule an appointment.)
- A tax site representative will then complete your tax return, sharing a copy with you in a password-protected online folder.
How do I start the process?
To begin, please click the button below. You will be directed to a webpage where you can review some information about the VITA program, and then you will complete a brief online form.