Just-A-Start (JAS) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to building a better future by providing affordable housing, education, training, community engagement and supportive services. Since 1968 JAS has been serving residents of Cambridge and surrounding communities to empower individuals and families to meet their potential.
We are looking for a dedicated individual to help mediate cases for us one day a week (1 – 5 hours) in the district courts. The cases are primarily summary process with some civil and small claims.
KEY JOB ACTIVITIES:
Mediate day of court disputes involving multiple parties, including attorneys
- Receive case referrals from court personnel
- Help participants apply a negotiation framework to the mediation process; assist parties in their efforts to define issues, focus participants’ interests and generate options that secure equitable resolutions
- Craft agreements in keeping with the needs of parties and in compliance with district court requirements
- Collect, track and report required record keeping forms for all mediation cases
- BA/BS degree and a minimum of 2 years of experience as a Massachusetts court based mediator in small claims, summary process and civil mediation
- Completion of 30 hours basic mediation training in Massachusetts
- Completion of specialized housing mediation training in Massachusetts
- Demonstrated success in dispute settlement
- Written or verbal proficiency in languages other than English desired
- Ability to work quickly and in a single mediator model
- Engage in continuing education
Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com